2013 Information for
ESOL Title III/Immigrant attendance and funding of
Tuition High School Summer School Program
The ESOL department of CCSD has limited funding available to assist summer school tuition for high school English Learners (EL) and/or immigrant students.
In an effort to disburse the funding effectively and to ensure that Tuition Summer School is in compliance with the federal and state requirements, the ESOL department has developed specific procedures that address the application process. The details are outlined below:
- When registering any ESOL student (including ESOL-Monitored, ESOL-Waived) for Summer School classes, please ensure that “ESOL” is indicated on the registration form. This will alert summer school staff that they must make accommodation arrangements for daily instruction and testing. The TPC Accommodations have been submitted to the District ESOL Office and are on file with the Office of Accountability. There is no need to attach the TPC Form to the application.
- If a word-to-word dictionary has been indicated this year as an accommodation for the ESOL student, the local school is responsible for sending the dictionary to the Central Office for disbursement to the student at summer school. (More details to be sent to local school lead ESOL teachers.)
Tuition Assistance Opportunities:
- Each high school has been allocated a number of ESOL/Immigrant Tuition Assistance opportunities based on the current ESOL population at that school. This information will be sent to the local school lead ESOL teacher.
- ESOL/Immigrant students interested in applying for the scholarship must complete the 2013 Cobb County Summer School Registration form and the Summer School ESOL/Immigrant Tuition Assistant Application 2013. These forms are available from the school counselor or high school lead ESOL teacher at the school as well as from the Cobb County ESOL Blog under “Summer School.” http://www.tinyurl.com/cobbesol
- Local schools will decide upon the recipients and thus, will form a committee to consist at least of the local school lead ESOL teacher and School Counselor. The committee will review the information and complete the CCSD ESOL Funding Rubric for Summer School 2013 for each applicant. The tuition assistance is awarded in increments of $275. If only $275 has been awarded for a student who plans to take two .5 courses for a full 1.0 credit, the student is responsible for covering the remaining $275 tuition in accordance with Tuition Summer School procedures. The school may not exceed the total dollar amount indicated for the school.
- Once the committee has determined the recipients of the tuition assistance, "Y-$275" or "Y-$550" must be indicated on the bottom of the Summer School Registration Form for "Scholarship: ESOL ___."
- Once the local school committee has determined the recipients of the awards based on the points awarded on the rubric, a spreadsheet must be submitted of all names of the recipients. (Spreadsheet can be found on the Cobb ESOL Blog).
- Once the committee has reached a decision, complete the Tuition Assistance Acceptance Letter and ask that the student and parent sign and return the letter. The Cobb ESOL Department will need a copy of the letter for the documentation of use of federal funds.
- Questions regarding a student’s status as ESOL or immigrant can be directed to Carol Fussell at the IWC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The high school local lead ESOL teacher must submit the items listed below by Thursday, May 23, 2013.
- See Quick Reference Guide for Summer School Download Summer School Quick Reference
Items to submit via Blackboard:
- Completed spreadsheet of ESOL tuition recipients for the local school uploaded into Blackboard under HS ESOL -> Summer School 2013.
- Updated Accommodations spreadsheet.
Items to submit in person, via County Mail or fax:
(Send to Margaret McKenzie, ESOL Consultant, Central Office, CIA, 514 Glover St., Marietta, GA 30060 (fax 770-429-5839)).
Copies of the following for each ESOL Tuition Assistance recipient:
3. Completed 2013 Cobb County Summer School Registration form.
4. Completed Summer School ESOL Tuition Assistance Application form.*
5. Completed CCSD ESOL Scholarship Rubric for Summer School 2013.**
6. Signed Tuition Assistance Acceptance Letter.***
The forms listed above can be downloaded below. Please use the appropriate language of the application form and acceptance letter for students and parents. They should be copied front/back with English on one side and the other language on the opposite side.
Click here to download a copy of the instructions outlined above: Download 2013 tuition ss instructions
*Summer School ESOL Tuition Assistance Application form
- English: Download 2013 ESOL Immigrant Summer School Tuition Application Form - English
- Korean: Download 2013-ESOL-Immigrant-Summer-School-Tuition-Payment-Request-Form-Korean
- Portuguese: Download 2013-ESOL-Immigrant-Summer-School-Tuition-Payment-Request-Form-Portuguese
- Spanish: Download 2013-ESOL-Immigrant-Summer-School-Tuition-Payment-Request-Form-Spanish
**CCSD ESOL Scholarship Rubric for Summer School 2013:
Download SS ESOL_Immigrant Assistance Rubric 2013
***Tuition Assistance Acceptance Letter
- English: Download 2013-tuition-summer-school-acceptance-letter-English
- Korean: Download 2013-tuition-summer-school-acceptance-letter-Korean
- Portuguese: Download 2013-tuition-summer-school-acceptance-letter-Portuguese
- Spanish: Download 2013-tuition-summer-school-acceptance-letter-Spanish